About Me

My photo
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
I was school taught for grooming at FIAA, in Winter Park. I have worked at both large corporate grooming salons and small independent ones. Love this profession! I consider myself talented and gentle and love all the pets that come through my door... I have excellent references.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Haircuts...

This is Florida--normally 80% humidity with temperatures in the 90's (usually upper 90's) all summer long.  It is not even officially summer time and we have been experiencing that kind of heat for a while now...  ugh...  It has been a rather dry spring time, which means the fleas are unstoppable...  Even with the use of very expensive topical agents, such as Frontline, etc., they do not seem to be letting down.  Poor dogs and, of course, poor humans who have a sensitivity to flea bites!  Luckily, I am not one of those, but one of my daughters and my mother are easily bitten by them...

So, eventhough to some it is a big NO NO, the dogs have gotten a nice shave down.  Fleas are less comfortable traveling the slippery terrain on a dog's body when there is little hair to be secured by.  They don't seem to like bare bodies.  I thought, twice, about shaving Boogie--being he is such a little thing--thought he might look like a rat, hehehe...  But it has been done.  I think he looks even more adorable.  You can really appreciate his diminuitive size without his coat.  He weighs even less, now, I think... 


I couldn't do it to Lucy(shave her)--she is already so smooth coated and tightly so.  But, they all received their baths and applications of Frontline...  (lots of mula $, blahhhh) And this is just the start to what is going to be one boiling summer!!!! 

1 comment:

Dustin said...

I have heard that Garlic is wonderful for fleas, and it is natural, so less chemicals. One of the girls I know gives her chi's garlic capsules with their meals, and it helps a TON!